Broccoli and cheddar soup
- Yield : 2 bowls
- Servings : 2-4 people
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 30m
Broccoli And cheddar soup
Refreshing and fulfilling bowl of broccoli and cheddar soup made with fresh broccoli florets and stems can make a meal on its own.
- 25 gms butter
- 1 liter vegetable stock
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 large head of broccoli, well trimmed and finely chopped
- 1 small potato, peeled and finely diced
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 50g mature Cheddar, finely grated
Melt the butter in a large pan. Add the onion and cook for a few minutes until softened. Stir in the potato and season generously, then cover and cook gently for 10 minutes, shaking the pan occasionally until the potatoes are just tender.
Bring a pan with 1 liter of water to boil. Put in the broccoli stems and boil till they are cooked. Remove the stems and put in the florets and cook them till they are al dente. To retain the fresh green color, remove the hot florets into a container with ice. Set some of the broccoli florets aside to make into crumbs. Mix in the pan with onions and potatoes and stir.
Puree in batches in a food processor. Return to a clean pan, stir in the stock and bring to boil. Add stock depending on how thick you like your soup. Stir in the Cheddar and reheat gently for 1-2 minutes until just warmed through. Season to taste and ladle into bowls. Serve hot.
The broccoli florets set aside can be used as dressing in the soup. You can dust them with flour and fry them in olive oil before using them as dressing in the soup.
1. The potato in this recipe is optional. It brings consistency and starchiness to the soup.
2. I use all the stems except the botton half inch of the brocolli head.
3. If you are looking for a deep green color to the soup then use only the florets for the recipe and very little of stems.
4. Spaghetti cut into small pieces and pan fried till they are light brown, can be used as crumbs for dressing the soup.