- Yield : 2 bowls
- Servings : 2-4 people
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 40m
A simple and classy chicken soup for the soul. Soft pieces of chicken in a creamy broth with plenty of crunchy vegetables makes this a special hot soup to have on a cold day.
- 25 gms butter
- 1 liter chicken stock
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 2 carrots peeled and finely diced
- 1 small potato, peeled and finely diced
- 8-10 beans finely diced
- 1 tablespoon plain flour
- 1 breast of chicken cut into small pieces
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- 1 tablespoon fresh cream
- 2 sticks of celery finely chopped
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
Melt the butter in a large saucepan over a medium heat and gently fry the onions, celery and carrots, potatoes, courgettes, beans until they just start to soften. Bring the chicken stock to a boil.
Stir in the flour and cook for 2 minutes. Add hot chicken stock along with the chicken and cook until heated through and turn the heat down to a simmer for 10 minutes, until the vegetables and chicken are soft and tender.
Season, to taste, with salt and freshly ground black pepper. Take off the heat, stir in the parsley and cream and serve hot.
The broccoli florets set aside can be used as dressing in the soup. You can dust them with flour and fry them in olive oil before using them as dressing in the soup.
1. This is best to make with leftover chicken.
2. An alternative is to take chicken mince and steam to make chicken meat balls. Put salt, pepper and flat leaf parsley in the meat balls for flavouring.
3. You can completely skip the adding of the flour if you would like to have a clear soup.
4. Add crunchy vegetables of your choice – courgettes, beans, peas etc.
5. Spaghetti cut into small pieces and pan fried till they are light brown, can be used as crumbs for dressing the soup.
6.Vary the amount of flour / cream to increase / reduce the thickness.