Chilli Jam thai
- Yield : 2 cups
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 30m
- Ready In : 60m
Chilli Jam Thai
This is available ready made in boxes. It is used in Tom Yum soup amongst other recipes. It can be prepared and kept for a long time. Ideally it is prepared by deep frying each ingredient and then pounding in a mortar and pestle. This is an alternate quicker method.
- 1 large cup of garlic
- 1 large cup of shallots
- 1 large cup of dried spur chillies
- 2 Tablespoons thick Tamarind juice
- 1 Tablespoon Palm Sugar
Chop the shallots into thin slices. Do the same with the garlic and cut the chillies into half inch pieces. In a deep frying pan, fry the onions till they are light brown in colour and set aside. Fry the garlic similarly and set aside. Fry the chillies for a few seconds and remove immediately from the heat as they can burn up real quick.
Add some of the hot oil to a pan and add all the ingredients along with the tamarind juice and the palm sugar. Keep frying for another 20 minutes till you have removed all the water and get a deep red colour. You may add more Tamarind juice or palm sugar if the paste is too spicy or not sour enough.
Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy
1. Regular small sized onions can be used in place of shallots.
2. The Chilli Jam is a great marinade in a chicken/beef stir fry.
4. You may add a spoon of fish sauce and shrimp paste right in the end while frying the ingredients.