- Yield : 2
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 20m
- Ready In : 40m
This is a great traditional Turkish chicken recipe cooked in a curry style, served as a main meal with pita or rice. The Circassian chicken is the equivalent of butter chicken boneless , Turkish style!!
- 2 boneless chicken breast pieces
- 3-4 cups of chicken stock
- 2 tablespoon of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tea spoons chilli powder
- freshly chopped parsley
- Salt to taste
- 2 slices of toasted bread
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 small leek onion - finely chopped
- Half large Red Bell Pepper
- 2 tea spoons Biber Salcasi (Red Pepper Paste)
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 tea spoon chilli powder
- half a cup of walnuts
Put the chicken breasts in the chicken stock and bring to boil. Cover with a lid and let it simmer for a minute or two. Take it off the heat and let it cook till the stock cools down completely.
Remove the breasts from the stock and slice then keeping the breast shape intact. Use the chicken stock to make the walnut sauce.
Soak the bread in the chicken stock and squeeze it to dry. Crumble in a small bowl.
In a saucepan, heat the olive oil and fry the onions till they are soft and transparent. Add the chopped red bell peppers and lightly roast them with the onions till they are soft. Add a little chicken stock if desired. remove from the saucepan and leave aside to cool.
In a food processor finely grind the walnuts. Add the onions, red pepper mixture, bread, red pepper paste, some chicken stock to make the sauce. Add salt to taste. If the sauce is too thick then you can add more of the reserved chicken stock. Warm the sauce before serving.
Warm 1 table spoon of olive oil and mix a tea spoon of red chilli powder to create a beautiful red coloured mixture. Make sure that the oil Is not too hot else the chilli powder will burn and turn black.
Put the sliced chicken breast in a serving plate. Pour the sauce in and around it. Pour the chilli oil over it and sprinkle with finely chopped parsley.
You can have this with brown rice or pita bread.
Sultan’s Kitchen – A Turkish Cookbook by Ozcan Ozan
1. The method of cooking the chicken breast in the heat of the stock makes sure that the chicken remains soft to bite into and does not over cook. You can slice the chicken breast in two to get a thinner serving.
2. The red chilli oil gives it a lovely bright red dressing.
3. The chicken can be shredded and mixed with the sauce a la butter chicken style.
4. Alternately, instead of cooking it stock, the chicken breast can be marinated in red chilli powder, cumin powder and salt and then pan roasted for 7-9 minutes before serving it with the sauce.
5. You can use Almonds instead of Walnuts to get a similar creamy gravy with a different flavor.
5. This is called Cerkez Tavugu in Turkish.