Cream of spinach soup
- Yield : 4 bowls
- Servings : 4 people
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 30m
Cream of spinach soup
Cream of spinach soup is a very tasty easy to make soup that is good enough to start off a three-course meal. Fresh ingredients along with toasted bread on the side can make a light and healthy meal.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 900ml/11/2 pints vegetable stock
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 150ml/5fl oz double cream
- 450g/1lb tender young spinach
- 2 egg yolks
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 6 tbsp freshly grated Parmesan
- Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the garlic and stir-fry for 20 seconds. Tip in the spinach and press it down well. Season generously and add the nutmeg. Cover and cook for a few minutes, shaking the pan occasionally until the spinach has wilted. Alternately, steam the spinach in a steamer if you have one. Make sure that you do not over cook the spinach else it will loose its fresh green colour and turn a dirty khaki green. Set aside. Put in a mixer once it has cooled down. Add some of the vegetable stock to liquidise and remove all the soup paste from the mixing bowl.
Mix together the cream and egg yolks in a bowl and then beat in the Parmesan. Add a ladleful of the hot soup and mix well to combine, then whisk back into the soup. Return to a gentle heat and cook for another minute or so until just heated through. Season to taste and add the cream on top to dress and serve. Ladle into bowls and scatter over croutons to serve.
1.Bread crumbs are optional. I like to lightly roast spaghetti broken into 1 inch pieces on a pan till they are light brown in color and sprinkle on top to add a bit of crunch to the soup.
2. Go easy on the salt. Fresh spinach has a inherent salty flavor and requires very little seasoning.
3. Use baby spinach. They have a vibrant fresh green color when steamed / pan cooked.
4. I like to use a steamer to cook the spinach. If you do not have one. You can cook on a pan after retaining the water on the leaves after washing them.
5. Toasted bread sprinkled with olive oil work great to make this into a light meal.