- Cuisine: Continental
- Course: Side Dish/Dips
- Skill Level: Intermediate
- Recipe Type: Salads & Starters
- Yield : 2 bowls
- Servings : 2-4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 30m
What can be better than a side of creamy, nutmeg-infused spinach? Perfect to accompany any roast and especially good at Christmas.
- 250 grams of spinach leaves
- 25 gms butter
- 200 ml full-fat milk
- 100 ml single cream
- fresh nutmeg for grating
- salt to taste
- 1 small onion
Wash the spinach and steam in a steamer till the leaves just start to wilt. Set aside to cool. Roll the leaves up and squeeze the water out of them. Chop up finely.
Heat the butter in a saucepan, then add the onion and cook for 5 mins until softened. Stir in the milk slowly. Gently cook for 5 mins until the milk reduces.
Stir spinach into the sauce with the cream, gently heat, then finely grate over some nutmeg and season well.
Mainland China restaurant
1. Use baby/young spinach with thin stems.
2. You can add some crushed and deep fried garlic too.
3. The spinach can be cooked in a pan at high heat till it just starts wilting.
4. You can lightly roast a teaspoon of flour in the butter before adding the milk if you would like to have a thicker dip.