- Yield : 2 cups
- Servings : 2-4
- Prep Time : 10m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 15m
This is a staple cucumber salad in many cuisines across the world. It is called Tzatziki in greece and back home in Maharashtra we have our variation of cucumber relish.
- 2 cups of hung or plain yogurt
- 2 cucumbers
- 2 teaspoons of butter
- 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander leaves
- Cumin seeds
- 1 green chilli
- 2 tablespoons of crushed roasted peanuts
- salt to taste
Hang the curd in a muslin cloth so as to drain the water out in case you do not have hung curd. Grate the cucumber and squeeze the water out of it. Finely chop the chillies and coriander leaves.
Add all the ingredients in the yogurt. Add salt to taste. Make a tempering by warming up the butter and lightly roasting the cumin seeds in it. Pour on top of the cucumber mix. Mix all the ingredients together and serve.
1.You will find this same recipe quite commonly prepared in other cuisines like Turkish and Indian. Indians use coriander and avoid the garlic and the Turkish will use flat leaf parsley for the same.
2. You just cannot go wrong with this one and it is a great accompaniment with any meal.
3. You need not peel the cucumber skins if you are working with dark green cucumbers. The skin is not bitter or as thick as with the pale green cucumbers.