Garlic fried rice
- Yield : 2-3 people
- Servings : 4
- Prep Time : 5m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 15m
Garlic fried rice
This is an essential dish to have in your inventory to complete any Asian meal. The garlic fried rice is best made with left over plain rice along with fresh vegetables if required.
- 2 Teaspoons of vegetable oil
- 1 cup long-grain white rice
- ½ - 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- half teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 2 cups sliced scallions, white and light green parts only
- 1 teaspoon of white sesame seeds
- 1 teaspoon of black sesame seeds
- 6-8 cloves of garlic
Slice the garlic cloves into thin slices. Heat a wok over high heat. The metal will have a matte appearance and a drop or two of water flicked onto its surface should evaporate on contact.
Add the oil and heat until shimmering but not smoking. Return the wok to high heat and heat the oil until it is shimmering. Lightly roast the garlic till they are light brown in color.
Cook the rice in advance ensuring that the grains are just cooked and separate. Let it cool and in a bowl, stir together the rice, salt, sugar, and black pepper, breaking up any clumps and mixing well to combine.
Add the rice to the pan along with half the spring onions and stir till the rice is heated through. Add in the sesame seeds along with the rest of the spring onions. Give it a good stir for a few seconds and set aside. Serve hot.
Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy
1. Fried rice is best made with left over rice. You will do well to cook the rice the previous day or well in advance so that it cools down and the grains can be easily separated.
3. Mixing the rice with the sugar, salt and pepper to season it is a great way to ensure that the rice tastes good.