Green Salad with chicken
- Yield : 2-4 plates
- Servings : 2-4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 60m
Green Salad with chicken
This is a simple mixed green salad with chicken in coconut cream dressing that completely transforms both the chicken and the salad into a delicious starter. The coconut cream dressing is mouth watering tasty and can work with other vegetables too.
- 1 cup (200 ml) coconut cream
- 1 cup (200 ml) Chicken stock
- 6-8 kaffir lime leaves
- 2 stalks lemongrass, tender inner part of bottom third only, bruised and sliced.
- 2 inches galangal root, peeled and sliced
- 1/4th cup (50 ml) fish sauce
- 1/4th cup (50 ml) oyster sauce
- 1 tablespoon superfine (caster) sugar
- 2 chicken breasts sliced across
- Crispy-fried shallots
- Lime wedges to serve
- 200 gms green beans
- 2 red finger-length chillies, deseeded and very finely sliced
- 50 grams shredded fresh coconut
- 3 kaffir lime leaves, finely shredded
- 1 stalk lemongrass, tender inner part of bottom third only, finely sliced
- 1/2 cup mint leaves
- 1/2 cup coriander leaves (cilantro)
- 1/2 cup Thai basil leaves
- 1/3 cup (100 ml) reserved broth from the chicken
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 2 green birds eye chillies
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Juice of half a lime
- half a teaspoon of fish sauce (optional)
- 2-3 small shallots thinly sliced
Pour the coconut cream and chicken stock into a large, deep pot. Bring to a boil and add the kaffir lime leaves, lemongrass, galangal, fish and oyster sauces and sugar and infuse for 5 minutes on low heat.
Wash and drain the chicken. Slice it across the breast to get four thinner slices. Bring the coconut broth to boil and poach the chicken pieces. You can turn the heat off and let the chicken cook on the latent heat for 40 minutes OR poach it on low heat for 5-7 minutes. When cooked, remove the chicken and drain on a plate or rack. Shred the chicken meat with your fingers, tearing along the grain to get long thin strips.
To make the dressing, strain the broth and start reducing it on low heat. Pound the garlic and chillies to a paste. Add to the hot liquid. Stir, check the taste and season with fish sauce and sugar if required. Do not boil. Keep the mixture on a gentle simmer. Take off the heat and add the lime juice.
To make the salad, cut the beans into bite sized pieces. lightly steam or blanch the green beans until just cooked in salt water. Hold under cold water to retain its fresh color and stop the cooking. Toss with the other salad ingredients. Deep fry the shallots and set aside.
Add the chicken to the dressing and warm through, then pour over the salad. Toss and serve immediately. Garnish with some crispy-fried shallots and lime wedges.
Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy
1. Different types of salads can be tried with this chicken and dressing – Ruccola, Lettuce, Iceberg , rocket etc.
2. The coconut cream dressing can be spiced up further by adding an finely ground paste of birds eye chilies and garlic towards the end of the reduction process.