Lamb kebab stew
- Yield : 6 plates
- Servings : 6
- Prep Time : 30m
- Cook Time : 40m
- Ready In : 1m
Lamb kebab stew
This lamb kebab stew is a main course dish that served on a bed of creamy garlic mashed potatoes works as a great one dish meal.
- 1 Kg boneless lamb shoulder or shank cut into 1 inch chunks
- 1 large onion
- 8 garlic cloves minced
- 2 tablespoons of tomato puree
- 4 large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and coarsely chopped
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 cups of lamb-stock
- 2 medium carrots, cut into half inch dice (1 cup)
- 2 medium green peppers, seeded and chopped (1 cup)
- half a cup of fresh green peas
- salt and freshly ground pepper
- quarter cup of finely chopped flat leaf parsley
- 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon of red pepper paste
- 1 portion of Creamy garlic mashed potatoes
- Olive oil
In a heavy medium-sized pan heat the olive oil and brown the lamb all over for about 10 minutes over high heat, stirring frequently with a wooden spoon.
Stir in the onion and garlic and cook till they are soft, Add the tomato puree and the chopped tomatoes , thyme and one cup of the lamb stock. Cover the sauce and cook the meat for about 30 minutes or till it is soft.
Add the carrots and peas once the meat is nearly cooked.
Heat a pan with one tablespoon of olive oil and stir fry the green peppers on high heat. Do not over cook as the green peppers will lose their fresh green color.
Dress the lamb stew with the green peppers and finely chopped flat leaf parsley and serve spoonfuls in a plate on a bed of mashed potatoes.
Sultan’s Kitchen – A Turkish Cookbook by Ozcan Ozan
1. You can cook the meat quickly in a pressure cooker. Be careful to add just enough lamb stock so that you do not end up with too much liquid in the gravy and are forced to overcook to reduce the water from the stew. I use a pressure cooker as it saves time.
2. I prefer to stir fry the green peppers separately so that they retain their fresh green color and can be added in the end.
3. You can cook the mashed potatoes in advance.
4. This is called Kuzu Tas Kebabi ile Kremali Sarmilakli Patates Puresi in Turkish.