Spiced Fish Fry
- Yield : 2 large plates
- Servings : 2
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 40m
Spiced Fish Fry
A very easy to make fish fry with dry spices to bring on desired flavours to Kingfish fillets.
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 2 bowls of salad greens on the side
- Juice of half a lemon
- 1 bowl of chopped spring onions
- 1 tablespoon chopped olives
- Salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 cup of Basil leaves
- 4 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 4 large fillets of Kingfish
- 1 cup of Simple tomato sauce
- half a teaspoon of red chilli powder
- half a tea spoon of cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon chilli powder
- 2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground oregano
- half a teaspoon of crushed pepper
- half a teaspoon of sea salt
Make the spice powder. Mix all the ingredients and grind in a mixer. Wash the fillet of kingfish, pat them dry. Brush them with oil and sprinkle generously with the spices.
Warm up the tomato sauce and add a half teaspoon of red chilli powder and cumin powder. Stir and reduce the water in the sauce till it becomes a paste.
Heat a non-stick pan over high heat with the vegetable oil. Add the fish and cook for 6-8 minutes on both sides until darkened.
Spread the tomato sauce on a serving plate. Place the kingfish slices (2 to a plate) on top of the sauce and sprinkle with the spring onions and lime juice.
Mix the olive oil and chopped parsley along with a pinch of salt and grind in a food processor to make the parsley oil. Sprinkle on the salad leaves and serve on the side.
The instant cook by Donna Hay
1. It is important to pat the fish dry so that the spice mix can stick to the surface and the water does not react violently with the oil.
2. The spice mix can be varied. There are ready made fish masala powders which can also be used.