Spinach and paneer fritters
- Yield : 8-10 pieces
- Servings : 2-3 plates
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 25m
- Ready In : 40m
Spinach and Paneer fritters
This Spinach and Paneer fritters snack was inspired by the spinach fritters from Antonio Carluccios recipes. This is an Indian version of that recipe using spinach, Paneer and Indian spices.
- 300 g spinach
- 2 tbsp mustard oil
- 2 1/2 tsp nigella seeds (kalonji)
- 7 cloves garlic, finely sliced
- 4 green chillies finely chopped
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp sugar
- 3/4 tsp salt or to taste
- 200 grams of grated paneer
- one egg
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
Pluck the leaves and tender stems of the spinach and discard the tough stems. Wash well and pat dry. put oil in a frying pan over medium heat. When hot add nigella seeds.
When they crackle, add garlic and green chillies and saute till garlic turns golden. Add turmeric powder and immediately mix in the greens. Toss well and cook till greens wilt and are just cooked. Stir in sugar and salt and cook only till sugar dissolves
An alternate method is to steam the spinach separately. Once done, squeeze the water out of it and finely chop. Then you can add to the tempering mix as instructed above. Leave the mixture to cool.
Mix the spinach with the Paneer, beaten egg and salt to taste and leave in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes. This binds the mixture together and helps when you try to shape the fritters.
Heat the vegetable oil in a pan and spread it around. Wet your hands and make the fritters in round or oval shapes. Shallow fry till reddish brown on all sides. Serve hot on its own or with pita slices.
1. You can adjust the spice by reducing or increasing the chilli used.
2. Spinach and garlic are are great combination. A little bit if fried onions can also bring about a different taste to this snack.
3. Ideally, use baby spinach. Else remove the hard rib in the middle if you are using full sized spinach leaves.