Sweet and sour vegetables
- Yield : 1 bowl
- Servings : 2 people
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 5m
- Ready In : 25m
Sweet and sour vegetables
Classic sweet and sour vegetables that you have had in Chinese restaurants can easily be made using very simple ingredients.
- 1 teaspoon finely chopped garlic
- 4 shallots finely sliced
- Half a cup of sliced button mushrooms
- 2 baby corns
- Half a white onion
- 1 cup of red and yellow peppers
- 2 tablespoons of vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoon tomato ketchup
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 tablespoon fish sauce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- Thinly sliced scallions
Chop all the vegetables and keep them ready in separate bowls. Thinly slice the garlic and then finely chop them. Finely slice the shallots. Chop up the button mushrooms into slices and the baby corn cross ways into bite sized pieces. Chop the half onion in a zig-zag manner and separate the individual petals. Cut the red and yellow peppers in a zig-zag manner. Chop up the scallions into one inch pieces.
Make the seasoning mixture by adding the ketchup, sugar, vinegar and fish sauce to a bowl and stirring till the sugar dissolves. Heat a wok over high heat until it is very hot and put in the vegetable oil. Add the garlic and shallots and fry for a few seconds.
Add all the vegetables one by one and continue to stir fry. The vegetables will release some of their moisture. Add the seasoning sauce and continue to stir fry over high heat till the vegetables are cooked al-dente. This will take a couple of minutes. Add the stock in case the stir-fry is drying up.
Check the taste and add more ingredients of the seasoning sauce to get a balance of sweet and sour taste with the saltiness coming from the fish sauce. Turn off the heat and add the scallions. Dress with coriander leaves and some of the scallions. Serve with scallions (thinly sliced), red peppers / chillies without seeds (thinly sliced) or beansprouts as dressing / on the side.
Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy
1. Regular small sized onions can be used in place of shallots.
2. Experiment with other veggies that stay firm on cooking.
3. You can also add a bowl of sliced chicken to begin with before you put in the vegetables.
1.Have all the ingredients chopped ready in a plate.Stir fry dishes get ready in less than 5 minutes.
2.Cook on high heat. Keep heat constant. Constantly stir to use the heat across the pan.
3.Use stock in case it starts to get dry. Do not use oil as a replacement.
4.A dash of sesame oil in the end can add to the flavor
5.A mixture of 1 Teaspoon oyster sauce and half a tea spoon of light soy sauce is great as a standard seasoning in most stir fries except this one
6.Vegetables have their own unique taste and flavour. As a rule, check the taste and then add the seasoning of sauces (Fish Sauce / Sugar / palm Sugar / Oyster Sauce / Soy Sauce)
1. Use whole coriander leaves. Do not chop them up.
2. Basil – Use only whole leaves. Do not chop or crush.
3. Use thinly sliced young spring onions for dressing.You can use regular spring onions by slicing then down the middle four ways and then chop in to one inch pieces.