Tom Yum soup
- Yield : 2 bowls
- Servings : 2-4 people
- Prep Time : 20m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 35m
Tom Yum soup
Tom Yum soup is a well known classic in Thai cuisine. I have had numerous versions of it and this is the one that I make taking the basic recipe from the class I attended and some tips I picked up from my book inventory. The Chilli Jam Thai is an essential ingredients in this.
- 200 grams of prawns
- 2 cups of chicken stock
- 3-4 slices of galangal ginger
- 2-3 kaffir limes leaves torn
- 8-10 mushrooms sliced
- half tablespoon lime juice
- 1 and a half tablespoon fish sauce
- 2 tablespoons of fresh coriander leaves
- 2-3 birds eye chillies
- 4 stalks of coriander
- 2 stalk of coriander root
- 1 tablespoon of Chilli Jam Thai
- half a cup of coconut milk
- 1 large tomato
- 1 teaspoon sugar
Finely chop the coriander and coriander root. Slice the ginger, tear up the kaffir lime leaves and chop the tomatoes in medium sized chunks after removing the core of the tomato. Slice the mushrooms and cut open the birds eye chillies into halves. Chop up the lemon grass root into half and smash it under the blade of a knife to release the juices.
In a pot, bring the chicken stock to boil. Add all the herbs, chilli, lemon grass, kaffir lime leaves, ginger and continue to boil. Let boil for 5 minutes.
Add mushroom and tomatoes. Season with fish sauce, sugar,tamarind paste and the Chilli Jam Thai.
Add shrimp and cook until they turn pink. Add lime juice and remove from the heat. Dress with coriander leaves and serve. Always add the lime in the end.
Bangkok Thai Cooking Academy
1. Some people like to make this with more coconut cream which gives a lighter color and creamier texture to the soup.
2. Prawns are recommended. Thinly sliced boneless chicken breast also can be used.