- Yield : 2 bowls
- Servings : 2-4 people
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 10m
- Ready In : 30m
A delicious Tomato chutney that goes well as a side dish in any Indian menu. You can have the chutney by spreading it on top of cut pieces of crispy Nan or toast. It is a wonderful combination of sweet,sour and spicy flavors.
- 1/2 tsp cumin seeds
- 2 dried red chilies, torn to pieces
- 1 sprig fresh curry leaves
- 1 1/2 tsp vegetable oil
- 2 (medium) tomatoes, finely chopped
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder
- 1/2 tsp red chilli powder
- 2 tbsp jaggery finely grated
- 1 tbsp dried dates, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fresh coconut, finely grated
- 1 tsp cumin powder
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp salt or to taste
Put oil in a small frying pan over medium heat. When hot, add cumin seeds, red chilies and curry leaves.When the spices crackle add mango ginger and sauté for a few seconds. Stir in tomatoes, salt, turmeric powder and chili powder and cook till tomatoes are mushy.
Add lemon juice, jaggery, dates, coconut and cummin powder and cook till jaggery dissolves.
Cool and transfer to clean,dry, ceramic bowl or jar.
My Great Indian Cookbook by Vikas Khanna
1. I like to do another tempering of cumin seeds and curry leaves in the end as dressing.
2. Do not use too many curry leaves as they great for dressing and flavor in the tempering but bitter to taste.
3. You can use demerera sugar instead of jaggery.
4. You can skip the lemon juice if you do not like it too sour.