- Yield : 1 bowl
- Servings : 3-4
- Prep Time : 15m
- Cook Time : 15m
- Ready In : 30m
This is a basic tomato sauce that is required in a variety of pastas, Italian, Spanish preparations and it is made differently in all cuisines.
- 2 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 large onion
- 6-8 cloves of garlic crushed
- half a Kg of tomatoes finely chopped
- 2 tablespoon of fresh basil, torn
- half a red pepper chopped (optional)
- 1 tablespoon white wine vinegar
- 1 tea spoon chilli flakes
- 2 tablespoon celery, finely chopped
- salt and pepper
In a deep sauce pan, heat the olive oil and saute the onions, celery and the garlic making sure that the garlic does not burn. Cook the onion and garlic until soft. Add the tomatoes and cook till they are soft. i prefer not to over cook the tomatoes. Add the red peppers and cook till they are al dente soft. Cook the mixture till most of the juice has evaporated.
Add the chilli flakes, white wine vinegar, basil and seasoning of salt and pepper and cook for another few minutes.
Wait for it to cool and then puree in a mixer. If you are not using the red pepper, then the tomatoes will turn orange when a blender or food processor is used. Dress and mix the extra virgin olive oil.
The top 100 pasta sauces by Diane Seed
1. You can vary the quantity of red chilli powder to increase or reduce the spice.
2. Add cumin powder and chopped celery if you want to give it a middle eastern flavor.
3. The red peppers give the sauce a vibrant red color and sweeten the sauce. Vary the quantity you use to your liking.
4. Use basil for Italian dishes and Parsley for Spanish and Turkish ones.
5. You can also boil the tomatoes till the skin splits, leave to cool, remove the skin, chop and use.